Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Extra Credit - South Sound Technology Conference

    I attended the South Side Technology Conference as apart of my internship presentation. I was able to show off what I learned/did during my internship this quarter. For the research/poster session portion, I got to see what my fellow students worked on. One other thing poster I was interested was my friend Arshdeep Singh's. Arshdeep had an interesting story to his internship. He started off testing software updates on virtual machines but wanted to do something else. He talked with his manager and he got moved on to a networking team. On the networking team, Arsh got to write Ruby scripts to automate switches.

    Another presentation that I found interesting, not mine or a friends was Caleb's presentation on his TMobile TechX internship. During his internship, Caleb got to work on an operations security support team and development integration test team. I liked that his internship was a rotation one where you could see what it's like on different engineering teams. This is the a kind of internship that I prefer to have so I can see what technologies/teams fit my interests.

    I did catch a peak at what topics were actually being discussed during the conference. The two that I caught during my breaks were drones and women in technology. I don't actually personally own any drones but they do interest me it lets end users see the view from above whenever/whenever they want(of course there's regulations) and am hearing about how Amazon is trying to deliver packages via drones.

     Women in technology is something I hear about all the time on LinkedIn. My view on this  is that it's good to bring in/interest people who aren't represented as well in technology - women and minorities but at the same time I don't believe they should be given unfair advantages like if a man presents himself as more technically adept than a woman applying for the same position, the woman shouldn't be hired simply because shes a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment